Saturday, January 15, 2011

TGIF

A day late, a dollar short, I know...I seem to be coming down with a terrible cold.  It all started with an excruciating headache and has taken off from there.  So glad it is the weekend so I don't need to contemplate missing a day of work. 

I have been reflecting lately on the power I give other people in making or breaking my happiness.  I had an AWFUL time at work last year mostly due to some very bitter people I was teamed up with.  The negativity was incredible and there was only so much I could let slide off me before doubts and self consciousness crept in. 

This year has been completely different from the last.  I am so busy planning and working to keep my students working on what they need to that I have no time to get involved or pay attention to the drama at my job.  In addition, I am working with someone who seems to really understand special education and the varying role my position takes in the classroom.  I was so on edge when the year started from my negative experiences last year that I feel like this year could have been even better if I didn't have that baggage.

What next year will bring is any one's guess.  The position I have wanted for years will be opening up because the current teacher is retiring.  Will administration give it to me?  Who knows.  For now, I really enjoy my job and feel fulfilled at the end of the day.   

Someone once told me something to the effect of don't let people take up space in our brains rent free.  Another friend recently said a saying about squeezing a lemon on your head and doing what needs to be done (sounds better in the native language).  The point is, attitude is everything.  I need to make the decision, daily, to make the best of what comes my way.

Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment