Thursday, January 13, 2011

Progress, Not Perfection


Today marks another day of exercise.  Since focusing on my weight only brings shame and seems to trigger increased food obsession, I have been keeping my mind of being healthy by exercising on a regular schedule.  I am using sparkpeople.com to log my exercise and track whether I meet my weekly goals or not.  For now, I hope to log 10 miles a week and 20 minutes of cardio three day a week.  Very small goals I suppose but completely attainable which is encouraging.  I am in week two and have stayed on track.  

A very encouraging friend always says to focus on "progress, not perfection".  If I set a standard (usually close to my view of perfect) and do not feel I am reaching that criteria with success, I don't want to bother with it.  I am an awful with self-sabotage.

Anyway, today I shoveled my mom's driveway and did two portions of a "Walk Away the Pounds" video with my sister.  I am totally NOT a fan of exercise videos but this one does not make me feel like a complete clod-hopper so I eagerly participated.  Even my girls had fun so perhaps this is something we can do together on a more regular basis.  Thank you Leslie Sansone for changing my view of exercise videos.  You may pose some competition for my treadmill and exercise bike.

Off to bed.  TGIF tomorrow and a three day weekend to boot!  

 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on making the commitment to workout! I made the promise and i have been sticking to it too girl! Maybe it's my caribbean trip in August motivating me lol

    ~Sherine
    Check out my blog and follow if you like!
    Confessions Of A City Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherine! I checked out your blog and am now a follower.
    I am finding the exercise a great stress reliever although a trip would serve very motivating as well : )

    ReplyDelete